how to make custard cream with a microwave April 2, 2009Posted by AnnaTheRed in how-to (all), how-to - decorations/basic stuff.
Tags: custard cream, microwave
This is a custard cream recipe I used for Totoro cream puffs!
I’ll be doing a how-to on Totoro cream puffs soon, so I thought I’d put a recipe and how-to for the custard today. Have this made (and in the fridge) before you start making cream puffs!
[How to make custard cream with a microwave]
– 1 whole egg OR *2 egg yolks
– 3 tbs of sugar
– 1 tbs of flour
– 1 tbs of corn starch
– 200 ml of milk
– 1 tbs of heavy whipping cream (heavy cream) OR 1tbs of unsalted butter (I used whipping cream)
– vanilla essence
*A whole egg makes lighter custard cream, egg yolks will make heavier custard cream.
1. Put an egg in a microwavable bowl and mix. Add sugar in and mix well.
2. Using a tea strainer or sifter, put the mixed flour and corn starch into the bowl while mixing.
3. Add milk little by little and mix. Afterwards, pour the liquid through a sieve. (It’s not absolutely necessary, but it’ll make the custard smoother.)
4. Microwave it on high uncovered for 1 minute and half.
5. Take it out and mix well.
6. Microwave it on high again for another 1 minute and half.
7. Take it out and mix well, and add whipping cream (or butter) and vanilla essence and mix some more.
8. Put plastic wrap directly on the surface of the custard, and let it cool down.
9. Once it’s cooled down, put it in the fridge until you use it.
The default temperature on my microwave is high, so I didn’t really set the temperature or anything, but if you don’t know what’s “high” on your microwave, check the texture of custard when you take it out of the microwave the second time. If it’s still watery, microwave it for 30 more seconds.
If you have any questions about any of my how-to’s, please feel free to leave a comment or email me!