how to make kirby rice ball July 23, 2009Posted by AnnaTheRed in bento blog (all), how-to - characters (Ghibli, video game, Wall-E).
Tags: bento, charaben, kirby, kyaraben, rice ball
I’m pretty surprised that “how to make radish mushroom / Mario mushroom” got so much attention in the past couple of days. Especially because when I did the how-to, my main focus was just a regular mushroom. I thought a regular mushroom would be more useful for regular kyaraben, and the Mario mushroom was just spur of the moment kind of thing. I ended up using the picture of Mario mushroom for the main picture of the set because, well, it looked cute. 😛 If I had used the picture of the regular radish mushroom, it probably wouldn’t have spread everywhere like this.
Anyway, the whole radish Mario mushroom thing reminded me that I haven’t done a how-to in a while. So I was going through my old bento photos, and saw a character that would be easy to make and nerdy at the same time.
[How to make Kirby rice ball]
– freshly cooked or warm sticky rice (Japanese or Korean rice)
– *mayonnaise or cheese
1. Wet your hands well, put salt on your palms and make a small rice ball. Make sure you make it small enough that ham can cover at least the top and half of the side of the rice ball. (You can put stuff inside the rice ball if you want.)
2. Put ham on a plastic wrap, and put the rice ball in the center of the ham.
3. Pull the plastic sheet together, and wrap it tight.
4. Slice carrot for Kirby’s feet. I used a plastic cutter to trim it. (You can put carrot into boiling water to cook if you don’t want to eat it raw.)
5. Cut ham for his arms with a plastic bottle cap.
6. Cut out seaweed for Kirby’s eyes. *You can put cheese or mayonnaise on the tip of a tooth pick and put it on the eyes for the sparkle and ketchup for his pinkish cheek, but this is optional.
7. Cut out seaweed for Kirby’s mouth. A different shape for a different facial expression!
For “Super Smash Bros. Brawl bento”, I just cut a small piece of seaweed.
Or you can use carrot for smiling Kirby. 😀
Don’t feel bad eating Kirby. He eats EVERYTHING. He understands. 🙂
If you’re just making a rice ball and not putting him into a bento box, you can keep him wrapped in plastic wrap and skip the carrot feet, sparkle and cheeks.
For Kirby fans who aren’t big rice eaters, I’ll make a Kirby sandwich next. Not sure if I really need a how-to since it’s so easy, but more food for my boyfriend to eat! 😀
If you have any questions about any of my how-to’s, please feel free to leave a comment or email me!